AVOID A FIRE: ELECTRICAL HOME SAFTEY TIPS

Did You Know? Roughly half (48%) of home electrical failure fires involved electrical distribution or lighting equipment in 2007-2011. (www.nfpa.org)

  1. Avoid overloading outlets. Plug only one high-wattage appliance into each receptacle outlet at a time. If outlets or switches feel warm, frequent problems with blowing fuses or tripping circuits, or flickering or dimming lights, call a qualified electrician.
  2. Make sure your home has ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) in the kitchen bathroom(s), laundry, basement, and outdoor areas.
  3. Never throw water on an electrical fire, as it will only cause it to grow bigger. Use a chemical fire extinguisher instead.
  4. Ceiling fans that slowly wobble are out of balance. To fix, balance the fan or reinstall.
  5. Warm outlet faceplates are caused by an overly large electrical load operating on that outlet, undersized wiring or a loose electrical splice. You may need to move the device to another outlet or repair the wiring.
  6. Check electric cords often for damage. Have damaged cords repaired right away. Worn cords can cause shock, short circuit or fire.
  7. Always unplug an appliance before cleaning or repairing it.
  8. Always unplug the toaster or other appliance when removing a piece of stuck food. A turned-off appliance is still connected to electricity until it is unplugged.

Remember, our licensed Journeyman Electricians are always here to serve you when need us.
For a free estimate, call 501-758-2404!

Comments are closed.
Little Rock, AR, North Little Rock, AR, Conway, AR, Cabot, AR & Sherwood, AR